[packagekit] Store

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed May 18 02:29:08 PDT 2011

Richard Hughes:

>> Why would you need static linking ? Couldn't you use shared libs ?
>
> What version does Fedora 15 have of qt4? What about Fedora 13? Debian?
> What compile flags do they use? There are loads of things that made
> the binary API different between distros, distro patches being one of
> the hardest things to manage. For instance, Ubuntu backports qt4 to
> have xinput2 support, which breaks ABI and apps like scribus.

Yeah, so the poor commercial vendor would have to make one package
per distro. And then use a PackageKit backend to meta-manage those ?

Worst case, one would have to package all the dependencies as well.
But that still doesn't automatically imply static/bundled libraries.

> It's a landmine out there.

Gotta love the distro zoo... :-)

But yeah, that is probably the real problem with "Linux" applications.

There's some outside perspectives available here, even if a bit outdated:
http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/reference/programming/platform-specific/linux/

I think that Zero Install is a nice way, since it can both use packages
(through PackageKit) and custom tarballs if no packages are available...

--anders