[packagekit] packagekit Debian backend has issues.

Sebastian Heinlein devel at glatzor.de
Fri Oct 7 08:41:49 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 05:23:24PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> It is possible to use a PackageKit backend for Software Center
> (experimental) - In the long run I guess someone will fork the
> Software-Center to make it really cross-distro...
> But regarding the Debian issue: You should be able to use Ubuntu
> packages on Debian, maybe this helps. (The SC and AptD pkgs should
> work on Debian)
> It is weird that the SC in Debian is not updated... Is package
> maintained by some team or by a single dev?

It is maintained by a single dev. I plan to help out there.

The problem isn't only the outdated aptdaemon package but also some
hardcoded bits in the latest software-center.

@matthias: The Ubuntu packages won't work.

@de: If you want to install a system for novice users please don't use
unstable or testing. What are you missing from the software-center
version in Squeeze? It seems to make it job well. If you want to have an
"always" up-to-data desktop distro - use Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Sebastian