[packagekit] packagekit Debian backend has issues.

Daniel Nicoletti daniel_nic85 at yahoo.com.br
Fri Oct 7 10:44:26 PDT 2011

BTW, if you try KPackageKit0Apper with AppInstall data mode set on
you can get real Applications in the results, that that requires additional data.

________________________________
Daniel Nicoletti - KDE Developer
http://dantti.wordpress.com
When a wicked man dies, his hope perishes;
all he expected from his power comes to nothing. Prov. 11:7

>________________________________
>De: dE . <de.techno at gmail.com>
>Para: PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit at lists.freedesktop.org>
>Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 7 de Outubro de 2011 13:11
>Assunto: Re: [packagekit] packagekit Debian backend has issues.
>

>On 10/07/11 21:11, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 05:23:24PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>>It is possible to use a PackageKit backend for Software Center
(experimental) - In the long run I guess someone will fork the
Software-Center to make it really cross-distro...
But regarding the Debian issue: You should be able to use Ubuntu
packages on Debian, maybe this helps. (The SC and AptD pkgs should
work on Debian)
It is weird that the SC in Debian is not updated... Is package
maintained by some team or by a single dev?
>>It is maintained by a single dev. I plan to help out there. The problem isn't only the outdated aptdaemon package but also some
hardcoded bits in the latest software-center. @matthias: The Ubuntu packages won't work. @de: If you want to install a system for novice users please don't use
unstable or testing. What are you missing from the software-center
version in Squeeze? It seems to make it job well. If you want to have an
"always" up-to-data desktop distro - use Ubuntu. Cheers, Sebastian

Thanks man!! Atleast I'll be glad.

>Stable is too outdated (like firefox-3.5 and chromium 6), it has
    unique bugs specially in KDE, Gnome 2.x is good in there but Gnome
    2.x is dead and people don't like 3. Older package also means
    missing enhancements a lot of which are critical.

>The current software center in 2.x shows all graphical and non
    graphical packages which confuses a lot of users. The last thing you
    want is a user to install ffmpeg and say there was no entry in the
    menus.

>I already tried Ubuntu, it's QA is too bad the community is also
    problematic and inexperienced. QA is the main reason behind Debian.