[packagekit] packagekit Debian backend has issues.

Sebastian Heinlein devel at glatzor.de
Fri Oct 7 14:49:36 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 09:41:14PM +0530, dE . wrote:
> Stable is too outdated (like firefox-3.5 and chromium 6), it has
> unique bugs specially in KDE, Gnome 2.x is good in there but Gnome
> 2.x is dead and people don't like 3. Older package also means
> missing enhancements a lot of which are critical.

There are backports available for some prominent pieces of software,
e.g. iceweasel/firefox (see www.backports.org)

> The current software center in 2.x shows all graphical and non
> graphical packages which confuses a lot of users. The last thing you
> want is a user to install ffmpeg and say there was no entry in the
> menus.

There are ONLY graphical apps in software-center 2.0 - and some manual
additions for highly requested non-graphical packages.

> I already tried Ubuntu, it's QA is too bad the community is also
> problematic and inexperienced. QA is the main reason behind Debian.

To be honest: If you care about QA, testing/unstable is clearly the
wrong answer. But this discussion is getting off topic.

Cheers,

Sebastian