[packagekit] Updated backends now crashing

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Sep 9 03:31:07 PDT 2011

Richard Hughes wrote:

>> But not all package managers implement this feature, or in such a way
>> that it won't work for PK (wrong order, not showing dependencies, etc)
>> There is not much information in the documentation about what they're
>> supposed to do (the 4 simulate_* methods) except show the changeset ?
>
> Isn't there some documentation in the DBus interface? The basic rule
> for simulate is to emit all the same signals you would be doing in a
> proper transaction, just without downloading packages or writing
> things to disk.

There is...

"This method simulates a package instalation emitting packages required to be installed, removed, updated, reinstalled, downgraded, obsoleted or untrusted. The latter is used to present the user untrusted packages that are about to be installed."

It doesn't really mention anything about ordering or dependencies ?

I'm not entirely sure about the difference between updated / obsoleted,
but I guess the new pkg is "updated", and the old pkg is "obsoleted" ?
All the changeset has is a list of pkgs to install and pkgs to remove.

--anders