[packagekit] [Question] The pop-up that requests authentication for setting proxy.

Kan-I Jyo cecilhsujp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:06:22 PST 2012

Dear all,

Please shed me some light with regard to the title.

[Environment]
$ cat /etc/*-release |uniq
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.1 (Santiago)

$ pkcon --version
0.5.8

$ ps aux --forest | grep packagekitd | grep -v grep
root     15890  0.0  0.4  79188  4232 ?        S    09:53   0:00
/usr/sbin/packagekitd

I recently see a pop-up from PackageKit once in a while that it is
making request for
root authentication on setting proxy.

The pop-up shows like:

"Authentication is required to set the network proxy used for
downloading packages".

And in the details, it shows like:

Role: unknown
Action: org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-network-proxy-configure
Vendor: The PackageKit Project

Just wondering which part of PackageKit is making this move.

And, as an addition, under GNOME Desktop, the proxy settings could be set
by using the [/usr/bin/gnome-network-properties] GUI tool, which stores
the proxy settings in the user-specific .gconf database.

While user may export their own environment variables in the shell
at the same time, which one will finally be used by PackageKit ?

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

--
Sincerely,

Jyo