[packagekit] how to wake up packagekit after idle time

tomw tomw at ubilix.com
Thu Jul 26 11:55:24 PDT 2012

On Do, 2012-07-26 at 20:29 +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Hi!
> You can use pure DBus calls to PackageKit, it is just not very comfortable...
> The PackageKit daemon gets automatically activated (via
> DBus-activation) if you issue a call on the system-bus and terminates
> when there's no job to do.
> I'd suggest you using libpackagekit-glib2, it is installed anyway and
> much easier to use that doing calls on the system bus, but you can of
> course to that if you want. (See the docs[1])
> The code above uses the session bus and needs support in the session,
> so this won't work I guess.
> Regards,
>    Matthias

Great, I seem to know now what was missing to wake-up the packagekitd -
it's the DBus-activation. For some reason org.freedesktop.PackageKit is
not in the /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services directory which prevents
the daemon to be restarted when the name is called on the bus. Perhaps
it's a packaging issue either with Ubuntu 12.04 or with packagekit
(0.8.1).

--
tomw <tomw at ubilix.com>