[packagekit] Parallelization is now available! (attention backend authors!)

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Jul 31 10:35:29 PDT 2012

Hi there!
Today the last pieces of parallelization support have been merged into
PackageKit master.
So, why is this great?
With parallel transactions, PackageKit can process multiple
transactions at the same time, e.g. we can run non-blocking
transactions like GetDetails() when an InstallPackages() is in
progress. This is important especially for Software Centers, where you
want to continue browsing the catalog of software while you are
installing packages. But this is also great for existing tools like
GNOME-PackageKit, where you are now able to run many requests much
faster.
This of course requires changes on PackageKit backends. By default all
PackageKit backends are marked as "doesn't support parallelization",
which means PackageKit will fall back to old behaviour and process
transactions one-by-one.
In order to support parallel transactions, backend authors will need
to make some changes on their backends, which are briefly described in
backends/PORTING.txt, which also contains some other instructions how
to make backends PK 0.8.x compatible.
There will be a new PackageKit release soon with the new feature enabled.
Thank you for your attention and I hope we'll have many backends
supporting this soon!
Cheers,
   Matthias