[packagekit] I've broken all your nice backend code...

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 07:07:02 PDT 2012

I've just merged a megapatch:

commit e37591aee89839b44119669b4faa2164511e051a
Author: Richard Hughes <richard at hughsie.com>
Date:   Fri Jun 1 12:35:53 2012 +0100

    Remove the only_trusted flag and Simulate* methods in favour of
using transaction flags

    NOTE: This commit breaks backend and client API. If the client is
using PkTask
    then only a small change is required, but using D-Bus or PkClient the client
    will have to be modified substantially.

    This change is designed to make the code much smaller and more maintainable,
    and also so we can add features in the future without adding loads
of extra API.
    If you have any questions, please ask on the PackageKit mailing list.

This removed 1670 lines of code, and also lets us do some awesome
things in the future. It also means I've broken your PackageKit
backend, and possibly broken your client program if you use the DBus
API directly. I'll be making more API changes in the master branch in
the next few weeks, but it's probably a good idea to fix things up one
at a time so it only takes a few minutes.

If you want to know how to port a C backend, see the zif commit
4bf81c5ae4077539b86716c82ae4b8ef3f5ca2cc and for a spawned backend
like yum 7d8dec2047fe4d8abbc0c7ca52593ca3966e6f47.

I'm also away from the computer this weekend, so I'll be back
Wednesday after the bank holidays.