[packagekit] Adding support for "prepare" in transaction_flags

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 06:54:32 PDT 2012

On 5 June 2012 06:12, Sebastian Heinlein <devel at glatzor.de> wrote:
> A refresh cache call from PackageKit and or from native tools should
> tigger a re-preparation of the system upgrade and other transaction,
> since it could now include additional packages which would need to be
> downloaded or would miss at run time.

Right, this makes sense. We probably need to remove the
/var/lib/PackageKit/prepared-update file if we do RefreshCache.

> How do the update-viewer and the upgrade mechanism work together? Will
> all updates be installed at reboot or will the update-viewer still
> install updates on request? If not how will queuing several updates in
> separate transaction be handled?

Well, the idea is we let the desktop choose what packages to
auto-install at boot time, and let the user override this in the
session. So for GNOME, we're going to let users live-update in the
session apps that are not open and then force everything else to be
done at startup, unless they drop to the command line.