[packagekit] Time to update to python3?

Fabio Erculiani lxnay at sabayon.org
Wed Dec 11 01:44:01 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been asked to look at switching PackageKit to use python3 in
> Fedora. So far, the python backends seem to be:
>
> * apt
> * conary
> * pisi
> * smart
> * yum
>
> Yum is going to stay python2 as it's being slowly retired, so that's
> not so important, but I wondered how the other backends would deal
> with PackageKit switching to python3? Comments welcome. Thanks.

Talking about the entropy and portage backends, I am not going to move
to Python3 for at least one more year.
Basically, the reason is that Python3 is still a moving target and
tends to break with quite severe regressions every new release, last
one I discovered is that py3.4 broke all the decompressors (gzip,
bzip2, lzma) when trailing garbage after EOF is found. Both Portage
and Entropy embed their own metadata at the end of binary package
tarballs.
This has been fixed in hg just a week ago though.

> Richard.

Fabio Erculiani