[packagekit] Slackware backend

Eugen Wissner belka.ew at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 01:48:32 PST 2013

Hi peeps,

I already wrote in april 2013 (
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/packagekit/2013-April/026054.html)
that I want to have PackageKit working on Slackware. I wanted to update
slapt-get backend at that time. But we decided in our team (dropline gnome)
to write a new backend. The main reason was: using of native slackware
package management instead of slapt-get.

And now I think I can announce this backend. It has been already tested a
bit because we used it (patched PK) in the project, though I've rewritten a
lot since that time because I've made some wrong decisions at the
beginning.. But main functionality is implemented and the backend is
working with the latest PackageKit.

It is a C-backend, its codename is "Katja". The code can be get from svn:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dropline-gnome/code/HEAD/tree/packagekit/pkgtools/
The patch I use to add it to the PK:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dropline-gnome/code/HEAD/tree/packagekit/pkgtools.patch

I'm planning to continue the work on it, will commit updates, add missing
functionality in the next time. So I hope I will be able to contribute to
the PK developement.

Best regards
Eugene Wissner