[packagekit] packagekit connection to https server not established

tomw tomw at ubilix.com
Tue Jan 8 23:23:53 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 22:11 +0100, tomw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm struggling with getting a connection to an https server using
> packagekit. The issue is, that using the apt alone with the same repo
> works fine, trying to update packages using packagekit however, does not
> even show traces in the server logs. Running packagekitd in verbose mode
> does not provide any hints or errors either and it seems that the
> connection to the server is not established at all. Currently I'm using
> 0.7.6 with the default aptcc backend.

ok, drilling a bit deeper it seems that the calls are simply not
initiated due to lack of permission. Although the relevant entries in
the org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy file are set to "any" I always
(even running "pkcon -v refresh" as root) get an:

Fatal error: Failed to check for authentication:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action
org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh is not registered

which is not surprising as this action is indeed not registered with
PolicyKit if I check with EnumerateActions on the PolicyKit DBus
interface. Now, how do I make sure the intended actions are really
registered and executable?

thanks,

--
tomw <tomw at ubilix.com>