[packagekit] backend functionality request

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 04:50:24 PST 2014

On 7 January 2014 12:32, Wendell MacKenzie <mackendw at gmail.com> wrote:
>    Would it be possible to add the ability into the backend of PackageKit so
> that it implements the ability to return a given packages change log
> history?  An extension to the Selection menu in gpk-application would use
> this and present the results similar to the manner in which getfiles request
> does.

I think this might be useful for tech users, but I don't think the
ChangeLog format is descriptive enough as an abstraction, for
instance:

* What format is the date? What timezone is it? UTC?
* What is the presentation format? e.g. markdown?
* How do we specify how many entries to return? By date / by number?
* Do we specify the user responsible for the change? Do we include the
email address?
* Do we return automatic / cosmetic changes?

I also don't know if this kind of data is available for debian-derived
distros, although is available for rpm-based distros as it's in the
rpmdb. I think just showing an unformatted ChangeLog entry in a GUI is
going to look aweful for lot of tools.

Richard