[packagekit] backend functionality request

Wendell MacKenzie mackendw at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 08:42:18 PST 2014

The customer requesting this is using RHEL 6.4.  Gnome-PackageKit-3.10 is
bleeding edge stuff that won't materialize for them until RHEL 7 gets into
prod (if/when) that happens.

So, I guess I'm stuck writing scripts to hit rpm -q --changelog for the
time being....oh well..

thx.
Wendell

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net>wrote:

> 2014/1/7 Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>:
> > On 7 January 2014 12:32, Wendell MacKenzie <mackendw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>    Would it be possible to add the ability into the backend of
> PackageKit so
> >> that it implements the ability to return a given packages change log
> >> history?  An extension to the Selection menu in gpk-application would
> use
> >> this and present the results similar to the manner in which getfiles
> request
> >> does.
> >
> > I think this might be useful for tech users, but I don't think the
> > ChangeLog format is descriptive enough as an abstraction, for
> > instance:
> >
> > * What format is the date? What timezone is it? UTC?
> > * What is the presentation format? e.g. markdown?
> > * How do we specify how many entries to return? By date / by number?
> > * Do we specify the user responsible for the change? Do we include the
> > email address?
> > * Do we return automatic / cosmetic changes?
> >
> > I also don't know if this kind of data is available for debian-derived
> > distros, although is available for rpm-based distros as it's in the
> > rpmdb. I think just showing an unformatted ChangeLog entry in a GUI is
> > going to look aweful for lot of tools.
> Debian supports all of this (Debian changelogs are written in Markdown)
> See
> http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs//main/g/gnome-packagekit/gnome-packagekit_3.10.1-1_changelog
> for an example.
> All Debian changelogs have to be in this format, which is human- and
> machine-readable.
> Cheers,
>     Matthias
>
> --
> Debian Developer | Freedesktop-Developer
> I welcome VSRE emails. See http://vsre.info/

D. Wendell MacKenzie
Certified Software Developer - Salesforce.com platform

Email: mackendw at gmail.com
Phone: 902-626-8708 (cell)
            902-892-8707 (office)