[packagekit] [Fontconfig] FontConfig iso15924 tag for autoinstallation via PackageKit

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Thu May 1 08:52:12 PDT 2014

> Le 30/04/2014 13:19, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :
>>
>> There are a few other unicode zones that do not correspond to human
>> language symbols but various symbols. I wonder how those should be selected
>> in fontconfig. Should fontconfig create dummy locales, allow selection by
>> unicode blocks or something else ? And the most needed selector is not an
>> unicode block selector but a way to ask fontconfig for the fonts that can
>> replace wingdings and other well established symbol fonts (since those are
>> required by lots of windows-generated documents) Regards,
>
> One thing that would help is if the InstallFontconfigResources of gnome
> PackageKit would be able to handle font installation by family name. At the
> moment, it seems that only the lang tag is accepted:
>
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-packagekit/tree/src/gpk-dbus-task.c#n2254
I wonder if PackageKit is really the right answer to this question,
since not all distributions ship sufficient metadata to handle this.
We are currently working on a "Font" component for AppStream[1], which
will allow you - as soon as it's implemented - to query the package
name for a given font family/font-name.
The spec or fonts isn't finished yet, though, some stoff is still pending.
Cheers,
    Matthias

[1]: http://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/