[packagekit] PackageKit 1.0.0 released!

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Sep 16 14:25:43 PDT 2014

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  - Remove support for distros not supporting /etc/os-release (Richard Hughes)
>>
>> You should probably fallback to checking for /usr/lib/os-release according to
>>
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/os-release.html
>
> I guess this settles whether the FreeBSD ports/pkgng should stay in ?
> It doesn't have os-release, and having systemd seems very unlikely...
>
>         "Porting systemd to other kernel is not feasible."
>
> Or is it OK to have a distro_id of NULL, if you don't have a distro ?
> Think it (BSD) was the main/only user of pk_get_distro_id_os_release ()
>
> Very Linux specific, to pretend that the distribution is an operating system.
>

> Distro is fine, but then PackageKit should say so (required kernel is Linux) ?
>
> Probably not a big loss to it, since FreeBSD already has AppCafe(R) available...
> But any future users of GNOME 3 would lack the PackageKit functionality there.
>
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Jhbuild/FreeBSD (was building GNOME 3.6, iirc)
There is no need for porting all of systemd. Just adding an
/etc/os-release file would be enough to restore compatibility (and
that file is pretty dumb and os-agnostic).
Just a while ago I added a patch to make PK compile again on the *BSD
kernel in Debian (admittedly, it was me who accidentially added the
Linux-only functionality in the first place  ;-P)
Cheers,
    Matthias