[packagekit] Debian apt-get 'all upgrades installed' hook?

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 06:32:59 PDT 2015

Packagekit aptcc backend does exactly what you want,
but I'm thinking on changing that in future to show only
upgrade instead of dist-upgrade (which can easily lead
to broken instalations).

if gettimeSinceLastUpdate() returns a short value and
getUpdates() is called you will have a list of dist-upgraded
packages.

In future I'd emit the additional packages that dist-upgrade
emits as blocked, so the user knows there are more upgrades
but those need manual selection.

Best.

> Matthias Klumpp:
>> Hi!

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to use packagekit to provide an 'all upgrades
>>> installed' hook?
>>>
>>> In other words, can packagekit notice and react if a user has
>>> successfully 'apt-get dist-upgrade'ed? I.e. when no more upgrades are
>>> available for installation?
>>
>> What would be the use-case for that / what are you wanting to achieve?
>> We have a hook for APT in Debian which notifies PK whenever the cache
>> is updated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Matthias
>
> Hi Matthias!
>
> I am a contributor to Qubes, which is a distribution of Xen that is
> providing Debian templates. (And I am also the one who got Whonix, a
> derivative of Debian, started.)
>
> The inter VM / host communication is not our issue. There is a working
> infrastructure for that. [qrexec]
>
> The Qubes VM manager - that is running on dom 0 (speak: "the host") -
> has a graphical state indicator "Updates pending!". (How we learn, that
> updates are pending, is not part of this question.)
>
> Now, when the user applied these updates (for example by running "sudo
> apt-get dist-upgrade"), we would like the VM to dispatch a hook. An
> apt-get 'all upgrades have been successfully installed' hook. It would
> run a script calling qrexec which would essentially tell Qubes VM
> manager "Updates were installed. Remove the updates pending indicator."
>
> Github discussion. [1]
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick
>
> [1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1066