[packagekit] [GSOC] Recommender Systems

Lucas Moura lucas.moura128 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 19:42:48 UTC 2016

Hello Mr. Matthias,

No worries about that email, but let me answer some of the questions.
Currently, AppRecommender only works for Debian and Ubuntu distros because
the data it uses to create an user profile is dependent on the .deb package
format, specially on the control file of a debian package, since it uses
info such as the package section, description and debtags.

About app-install-data, it is ancient indeed. AppRecommender was originally
thought as an online project and used the application to provide
screenshots of some application, but when I started working on it, we have
decided to run it only locally and via terminal, because of some user
privacy issues we would like to avoid, since the online approach required
the user a list containing all of the installed packages to the server. So
we are no longer using app-install-data on the project, but I just realized
I have forgot to remove it from the Readme file, but I will fix this right
away and thanks for pointing it out :)

Now, considering PackageKit, yes it makes sense that it would be difficult
to make AppRecommender work on it, specially considering the fact that this
application is not cross-platform. But the C/C++ library seems like a
really good option. AppRecommender is currently a python application, but
creating an C/C++ API for it would be a fun thing to do. I will speak with
my mentors about this idea and I will answer you back once he answer it.

Thanks so much for the answer and support.

Best regards,
Lucas Moura