[packagekit] [GSOC] Recommender Systems

Lucas Moura lucas.moura128 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:17:44 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have spoken with my mentor about the AppStream integration. The idea that
he had was to create an AppStream library that would only manage
recommended packages and why they were recommended, for example, displaying
which installed user packages generated the recommendations. Therefore, the
library would be generic enough to allow any package recommender system to
populate it with recommendations. In that context, AppRecommender would
only be used to generate the recommendation and pass them to the library.
Does that make sense for an AppStream lib ? I could not completely
understand from Mr. Matthias email if the library should generate the
recommendation or a approach similar to the one I am proposing here is also
valid.

Also, since this discussion is now mainly focused on AppStream, I will move
any other doubt about it to the appropriate email list. I am just sending
this email in this list so that the whole context of the conversation do
not get lost.

Best Regards,
Lucas Moura