[packagekit] To know about Packagekit

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Sat Feb 13 18:45:29 CET 2016

> I am Akshay Takalkar, your application is very cool and easy to understand.
> I am student and working on application devlopment in Gnome. I have devloped
> application in linux but it is not powerful and  error handler as your
> application. I also want to upload my application to gnome.
>
>  I want to know  about your Packagekit software my questions are:

I suggest you look at https://github.com/hughsie/PackageKit and
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/PackageKit/ that should pretty
much answer all your questions.

> 1) Which GUI application did you use for development?

I saw Richard use GEdit once, but I am not sure what he prefers - it
doesn't matter in the end though. Every developer picks the tool they
like most and be very productive with. For me, that is Kate+Terminal
(Kate has a neat Vim mode!), for other people that might be entirely
different tools. Just try some and pick what you personally like most.

> 2) Which programming language is been used?

It's pure C, using GLib and GObject.

> 3) What is "glue" file?

Never heard about that...

> 4) How did you launch your application in Gnome

Not sure what the process in GNOME is to be included as a project, but
developing something useful is a great start - then just ask at GNOME
whether including your project to the GNOME umbrella would find
supporters.
I'm not exactly a GNOME guy, maybe use Google to find out how their
administrative processes work.

In case your question was how to actually launch the tool: It's DBus
activated daemon, it will be launched by DBus automatically once its
interface is accessed by something. For debugging, you can launch the
daemon manually in a terminal.

Cheers,
   Matthias