[packagekit] PackageKit support for Fedora modularity?

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Thu Aug 3 11:40:19 UTC 2017

On 03.08.2017 13:36, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 3 August 2017 at 12:32, Stef Walter <stefw at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Modules are used to build flatpack's and containers as well, although in
>> those use cases they don't show up on the user's system.
>
> Right; at least from a Fedora workstation point of view, we're seeing
> packages as a way to build flatpaks, containers and ostree base
> images. The modularity stuff seems to be swimming in the other
> direction completely if we're allowing users to install modules as
> rpms on the live system.

I would love it if we could go cold turkey and only do containers,
flatpacks for applications and services ... where replacing the entire
app is the only way of doing updates.

However, the reality is that many of the folks who use Linux won't be
able to make that leap for many, many years.

While at the same time the monolithic lifecycle of distributing an
operating system and applications together has to change.

So install/update a module on a live system is a pragmatic workaround
for that. It's not a workaround that makes me happy, but it looks like
it'll play for years to come.

Cheers,

Stef