[packagekit] PackageKit support for Fedora modularity?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Aug 4 18:17:02 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017, at 06:30 AM, Stef Walter wrote:

> dnf (and soon yum) is the local thing that understands the modularity
> logic. So I guess this means talking directly with dnf and yum.

The modularity people had considered moving modules into
libdnf.  Once it lands there, rpm-ostree can gain understanding of them.

Though as far as I know there are no plans for PackageKit talking to rpm-ostree;
it'd be weird since rpm-ostree is already daemon with a DBus API and
polkit auth and its own notion of transactions etc.  Hence clients
like Cockpit and gnome-software should learn to speak to rpm-ostree
for installing modules once most of the logic lands in libdnf.