[packagekit] PackageKit URI protocal for one-click installation

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Oct 9 12:04:15 UTC 2018

Am Di., 9. Okt. 2018 um 12:21 Uhr schrieb Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org>:

> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 6:44 PM Guo Yunhe <i at guoyunhe.me> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I am a contributor of openSUSE and working on software.opensuse.org during last few months. openSUSE has a YaST One-Click Install implementation. Users click a link and download a XML file which is automatically opened by YaST software installer. However, this implementation has many limitation:
> >
> > It is only works for openSUSE.
> > It is not portable. You need a server to generate these XML files.
> > It only works with YaST. While many users start to use GNOME Software or KDE Discover as software management tools.
> >
> > Snap has its snap: URI protocol. Does PackageKit have similar implementation? And does it support additional repository? (like from openSUSE Build Services)
>
> Hi Guo,
> This is already doable with appstream:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-AppStream-Services-UrlHandler.html
>
> It's already implemented by Gnome Software, Discover and others.

Using AppStream is a great idea, because it works across all
distributions by design. Back in ancient times, PackageKit had a
browser plugin, which allowed websites to e.g. install packages on
demand. But that was used so little, that it eventually was abandoned
(with browser vendors dropping plugin APIs playing a large part).

So, tl;dr: Use AppStream's appstream: URL handler.

Cheers,
    Matthias