[Piglit] Waffle and piglit-dispatch plans

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Tue May 29 15:10:53 PDT 2012

On 05/29/2012 01:47 PM, Pauli Nieminen wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:17:26AM -0700, Chad Versace wrote:

>>> This makes it only slightly easier that using piglit_is_supported
>>> functions. That was mostly reason why I added runtime checks for
>>> platform to GLX and EGL code.
>>>
>>> Of course it is nice to write common and possible complex requirements
>>> for tests in standard simple to write fashion. But most likely tests
>>> will still have to do runtime branching depending on if it is running
>>> on GLES or GL.
>>
>> Having the test requirements stated declaratively allows us to do several things
>> that are difficult, or not possible, with the piglit_is_supported functions. Again,
>> these things have been part of Ken's, Paul's, and my plan for some time,
>> but we forgot to document it.
>>
>> 1) Filtering tests by GL API.
>>
>> Eventually, a large portion of tests will be capable of running under GL and GLES.
>> Once we reach that point, developers will normally not want to run all those
>> tests twice, first as GL and then as GLES. The framework will need to be intelligent
>> enough to, by request, run only GL test cases, only GLES test cases, or run GL and GLES test
>> cases (in which case some tests will be ran multiple times).
>>
>> To allow this, the plan is to add some standard command-line option to test
>> executables and to the Piglit python scripts, such as --gl-api. If --gl-api=gles2
>> is given to a test executable, then it will run only its GLES2 test cases. Given
>> --gl-api=all, it will run test cases for all APIs. This plan is not yet set in
>> stone, and we're receptive to suggestions.
>>
>> Similarly, if --gl-api=gles2 is given to piglit-print-commands.py, then the script
>> will  1) invoke each test executable with a flag that requests it to print out info
>> about its requirements, and 2) filter out tests that do no support GLES2. This
>> will give developers fine grained control over which tests they run, control
>> that would be cumbersome to provide with the piglit-run.py's -x option. And this
>> gives QA the ability to filter out inappropriate test cases when running Piglit
>> on Android.
>>
>> 2) Filtering window system platforms.
>>
>> Once support for the --gl-api option is implemented, the next logical step
>> is to add a --platform={all,glx,wayland,x11_egl} option that behaves analogously.
>>

> yes. Standard checks are good way. If I understand your proposal
> correctly tests binary is supposed to tell about if it is run able in
> given platform.
>
> Wouldn't that makes it simpler to have same tests set in all
> platforms and GL flavors? Tests automatically skip when given
> environment doesn't match what test requires. Fork-exec-skip should be
> fast enough not to affect total runtime much.

It actually does take a while.  Running all the 3.0+/1.30+ tests on
pre-Sandybridge skips quite a few tests already...and more all the time.

Plus, we'd eventually like to include FBConfigs/visuals in the list of
requirements (i.e. RGBA, at least N bits of depth, stencil), and that
will create a -lot- of combinations.

The idea is to improve the runner infrastructure to select reasonable
combinations of tests rather than always running them all.