[Piglit] Require Signed-off-by for patches?

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Nov 15 13:42:07 PST 2013

Jordan Justen <jljusten at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> What are the arguments for it?
>>
>> Other than habit, there probably aren't any arguments in-favor for
>> piglit.  The sorts of things that patch signing is designed protect
>> against really aren't relevant for piglit.  The probability of someone
>> distributing piglit (are there any?) being sued because a third party's
>> IP somehow leaked into the project seems infinitesimal, at best.
>
> So, you're saying there is a stronger argument for adding this for
> Mesa? (I agree. :)
>
> I agree to your point that piglit is less likely to have an issue that
> Signed-off-by can help with. But I also think that once a project has
> decides to adopt Reviewed-by, etc, then the extra step of
> Signed-off-by is trivial. At that point it seems there is some (small)
> benefit gained in consistency of process between open source projects.
>
> It also doesn't hurt that git makes Signed-off-by so easy. If I
> actually had to type it out, then I probably would not think it was
> worth it for piglit. :)
>
> Do we think Signed-off-by may cause people to have reservations about
> contributing code to piglit?

No, but I know from other projects that I *will* forget signed-off-by
and get nagged about it.

I think s-o-b is silly.  Whoever incorrectly put their s-o-b on a patch
will just say "Oh, I had no idea I was agreeing to *that*", since most
new people I see apply s-o-b at someone's else's request don't know
about the developer's certificate of origin, or don't read it when
pointed to it.  It's like a EULA we present to developers, and they just
click right through.

That said, I'm not super opposed if other people are excited about it.