[Piglit] ideas for shader_runner subtesting

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Tue Aug 5 11:10:47 PDT 2014

On 08/03/2014 08:39 PM, Dave Airlie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so I've written the FP64 test generator that spits out a test for GLSL
> 1.50 + GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 but also spits out the same tests for
> GLSL 4.00
>
> This in theory should make sure that when we do GLSL 4.00 that we have
> tests for that path as well. Now I'm sure ARB_gpu_shader5 also has a
> bunch of tests that will need to also run in a GLSL 4.00 context to
> test we get the GLSL compile enables all correct.
>
> So I was thinking off possibly adding subtests to shader_runner, that
> if can add another section to it to run the same shader with a
> different set of #version + #extension tags,
>
> Anyone looked into this before, or how did we handle this back in the
> GLSL 1.30 / GL3x days?

We dodged it altogether.  Mesa never supported EXT_gpu_shader4, so we
never worried about testing it.

In other cases, we usually just tested the extension, and a added few
extra tests for the core version.  UBOs are an example.  I think there
are some other cases where test generators would generate multiple
versions of the same test.  I don't think there's much of that.

I think Eric in particular was not excited about running the same 200
tests for an extension and for the indentical functionality in the core
version.  It doesn't add much coverages, but it does lengthen piglit
times.  I don't have a strong opinion either way.