[Piglit] [BUG] Status line being printed multiple times

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 06:16:23 PDT 2014

On 12/08/14 23:10, Dylan Baker wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:01:34 PM Emil Velikov wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> Recently I've been trying out piglit under Windows, and by default the
> cmd
>> window is 80 columns in width. As such as soon as the status line
> becomes
>> larger than 80 characters, a separate new line is printed for each test
>> iteration. AFAICS the issue exist under Linux as well, yet the default width
>> there is slightly larger :P
>>
>> If memory serves me correct there was a patch floating around that
>> addressing the issue, yet cannot find it. Does anyone have a
> recollection
>> about such an issue and/or patch handling it ?
>>
>> -Emil
>
> There was a patch, here's the problem we face:
> python2 doesn't have any method of detecting the width of a terminal
> (python 3 does) when the updated logger landed I was trying to update
> code that didn't work with python3 with the goal of going to python3. That
> never happened obviously, so, we can set the terminal line width and
> truncate, but then if someone needs to see more than 80 characters they
> have no ability to do that, (and there are legitimate reasons for that).
> Obviously you've run into the other bug.
>
> I have a series that reworks a lot of the log code on the list right now. I'll
> send out a patch to limit it then if that works for you.

Sigh python2, we luv you :)

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation Dylan. To summarise, unless we
somehow reinvent the wheel (implement console.getTerminalSize()) in piglit (or
switch piglit to use python3) there will be no way to properly fix this. Is
that correct ?

My main concern was that due to the extra prints (the CPU usage ramps up and)
piglit gets extremely slow. I don't plan on doing many Windows piglits so I
think I can live with it :)

Thanks for working on this
Emil