[Piglit] Convert from python2 to python3

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 19:10:25 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Dylan Baker <baker.dylan.c at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This series makes the transition from python2 to python3. In general
>
> Out of curiousity, what's the motivation for this? I've been able to
> avoid python3 quite nicely thus far, all it seems to do is break
> compatibility with existing setups... Admittedly piglit is targeted at
> developers, who probably have the latest and greatest stuff, so
> perhaps not a huge issue.

Python 2.7 support sucks. Piglit with concurrency was simply broken
with Python 2.7.4 and 2.7.5 because of some regression related to
threading. Then piglit was broken again after the timeouts code was
committed in November, until it was reverted, as far as we can tell
because of a Python bug. And Python 3.3 just has the necessary support
for doing this without rolling it ourselves.

Basically, we're tired of relying on old and dead versions of python
which are ill maintained and break often.