[Piglit] libepoxy conversion v2

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed Feb 26 10:20:49 PST 2014

Ken Phillis Jr <kphillisjr at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:
>> I'd really like to get this in soon -- Fabian just spent what was
>> probably quite a bit of time building a new piglit-private dispatch
>> builder due to the .spec files no longer being updated, and I'd
>> rather we not waste anyone else's time.  I still haven't heard
>> anything from anyone using Windows, which is the only real risk I see
>> with this series.
>>

> Since I tend to use windows a bit I will go ahead and review the
> overall patch ( including libepoxy ).
>
> 1) Requiring unix-specific features to compile on windows will drive
> away developers. ( I am talking about the pkgconfig requirement ).
> It's not exactly a good idea to require this on windows.
> 2) libepoxy itself uses autogen and autoconf... This is an absolute
> nightmare for windows developers. I would like to suggest adding cmake
> build options to libepoxy ( Mainly to help improve the build process
> on systems that lack libepoxy and also make it easier to integrate
> within piglit itself )

Yeah, and cmake is a nightmare for linux developers.  (So is automake,
but cmake is worse).  Based on my experience in open source software so
far, I'm not expecting contributions from windows developers -- I'd be
happily surprised to get some, but I'm not waiting.  So "this will drive
away windows developers" ends up having basically no weight, compared to
me being able to get work done.

Thus, I'm building Windows binaries and distributing them with the
releases, so that Windows developers can just take them and use them,
instead of having to deal with building it themselves -- I get an
environment I can rapidly test and do releases in that includes Windows
testing, and Windows can just consume releases.

My concern on the Windows side is that I haven't tested the distributed
binaries on actual Windows piglit, just in wine.  I spent a couple of
days trying to get MSVC up on my Windows box, then gave up and decided
to do something else.

> 3) What versions of python are expected for libepoxy to generate the
> dispatch tables? Based on what I am seeing it will accept any python
> version ( so long as it uses the python as the interpreter executable
> ).

I don't know.  If people find there are restrictions, I'm happy to
update configure.ac or do reasonable changes to python code to reduce
restrictions.

> 4) The requirements on Mac OSX are a bit much, This probably should be
> changed to make use of native api calls like waffle does. This is
> to prevent unnecessary dependencies and simplify test creation on
> those platforms.

I can't make any sense of what you're proposing here.  Can you make a
concrete suggestion of what call should be what other call?