[Piglit] libepoxy conversion v2

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Mar 7 13:34:55 PST 2014

Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> writes:

> [...]

Take a look at waffle -- a dependency of piglit that went out of its way
to make things easy to build the windows code necessary, including using
cmake for its build system.  Almost 2 years later, we've still got
piglit_glut_framework for windows, when glut is holding back modern
testing on Windows and making us have an extra abstraction layer on our
abstraction layer abstraction layer.

I just don't see windows graphics developers clamoring to work on this
stuff.

> BTW, using cmake+ninja  addresses many of issues experience while using cmake+make.  E.g.:

cmake+ninja does dodge cmake's incompetent makefile generator (though it
means I carry around a local makefile in my tree to get my normal editor
integration to work).

But then there's the broken configure caching that makes it so you have
to git clean regularly, and the broken library directory handling.  I
mean, look at the workarounds in chad's "[Piglit] [ANNOUNCE] waffle >=
1.3 required, you may need to rerun CMake".  This build system is
totally broken.

But beyond that, here's my problem.  Even if someone shows up with a
pile of cmake for epoxy for MSVC builds, I still need to be able to turn
out binaries for releases, since that's what normal windows developers
want, from what I've heard.  So I'd need a MSDN subscription to do MSVC
builds.  That's not something I have, nor am I interested in pursuing it
unless we just can't get an open toolchain to generate working binaries.