[Piglit] [RFC] Piglit tags/releases

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:53:40 PDT 2014

On 02/10/14 21:46, Ian Romanick wrote:
> On 09/30/2014 10:05 AM, Emil Velikov wrote:
>> So in a nutshell what I've gathered so far:
>>
>>  * Concerns that it will take too much effort.
>> Dare I say it - it will not. A single build + sanity run takes a few
>> minutes.
>>
>>  * There is no point if tagging/shipping (distro or otherwise) piglit
>> for people that do not know/have the time/etc to build it.
>> With all respect - even if all of us have plenty of trained members in
>> their QA team, I believe that we all can welcome the little extra
>> assistance this can bring us. Imho AMD and Nvidia hardware tend to have
>> more (versatile) products, so additional testing there would always be
>> appreciated.
>>
>>  * But to what end? Why is packaging snapshots of an always changing
>> developer test suite useful?
>> - Does it hurt ? I believe not.
>
> It does.
>
> People should always use the most up to date test suite.  Having
> releases encourages people to use an out of date test suite.

Hmm... even if I abstract myself from anything about mesa/piglit I
cannot see how an engineer/scientist will make such a deduction. Version
10.0.1 and 10.0.2 - the latter is a patch/bugfix thus I should use it ?

Do you know(are you allowed to share) if the test suite from Khronos has
any tags/versioning associated ? Or is it "pull the latest changes,
rebuild + use" style like piglit ?

-Emil