[Piglit] [RFC] Piglit tags/releases

Jordan Justen jljusten at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 10:42:20 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/10/14 21:44, Ian Romanick wrote:

>>> I must be missing something here - Matt says it backfired, but you say
>>> that you've not tagged your previous "mesa-xx-tested" because of local
>>> changes. How are those two related ?
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I see meaning behind such tag. Is your team (going to be)
>>> using it as a reference point of sorts ?
>>
>> I'm not sure what Matt meant about back firing.  Here's what I do know...
>>
>> We occasionally get bug reports from QA that a test has started failing
>> on a release branch, but the regression observed relative to the piglit
>> run of the previous release on that branch.  So, the test passed on Mesa
>> 37.5.1, but it now fails on a 37.5.2.  Since we don't know what piglit
>> was used on 37.5.1, we don't know whether the failure is due to a change
>> in Mesa or a change in piglit... and we can't trivally bisect piglit.
>>
>> Having a mesa-37.5.1-release-test tag enables us to sort that out quickly.
>>
> Indeed having a tag should help.
>
> Imho naming the tag explicitly against mesa sounds a bit backwards.
> Afaict the general consensus is - piglit is always paving, always stable
> test suite. Thus we check the product (mesa/etc.) *against* it - i.e.
> tested mesa X with piglit Y. Does this make sense ?

Emil, I would say that piglit is mainly driven by the needs of Mesa,
so it is useful to relate piglit "releases" to Mesa when possible.

Ian, all,

What about this compromise/monstrosity?
0.0.0-git20140911-1234abc-mesa-37.5.1

I also think this could work, as I'm not sure we need the date & sha1
in the tag:
0.0.0-tested-mesa-37.5.1

Finally, how about a tag of 0.0.0, with the "release" notes as the tag
comment documenting the Mesa release intended to be tested by the tag?

-Jordan