[Piglit] [RFC] Piglit tags/releases

Ken Phillis Jr kphillisjr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 11:34:32 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Jordan Justen <jljusten at gmail.com> wrote:

> Emil, I would say that piglit is mainly driven by the needs of Mesa,
> so it is useful to relate piglit "releases" to Mesa when possible.
>
> Ian, all,
>
> What about this compromise/monstrosity?
> 0.0.0-git20140911-1234abc-mesa-37.5.1

I think this will not work in the long run. It is too difficult to handle.
appending a date may be nice, but it's not required.

> I also think this could work, as I'm not sure we need the date & sha1
> in the tag:
> 0.0.0-tested-mesa-37.5.1
>
> Finally, how about a tag of 0.0.0, with the "release" notes as the tag
> comment documenting the Mesa release intended to be tested by the tag?
>
> -Jordan

I think that all that is required is to sync up to branches *and* tags that
mesh well with mesa releases. This means that we have a branch for each
mesa major version, and then these branches will only accept bug fixes and
framework fixes. This should help with reducing the load a little bit, and
provide a more stable environment. Also, I would like to suggest that the
piglit version just being the same as the mesa versions. This should make
things fairly easy. This means that we need a 10.2, a 10.3 branch and tags
in each branch stating which release. This means that two versions will
probably be tagged at the same commit and that would be for version 10.2.9
( if that is being released ) and 10.3.0-rc4.

Also, I would highly suggest we make the branch/tag for the 10.3 line right
away that way all developers can work on the same page so to speak.