[Piglit] [RFC] Piglit tags/releases

Jordan Justen jljusten at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 16:52:37 PDT 2014

On 2014-09-29 10:01:59, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > While I've been through the RELEASES document I believe it would be
> > beneficial if we regularly create a tag("release"), that is to serve the
> > following
> >  - Human understandable format
> > I.e. version 1.0.2 comes after 1.0.1, oh there is even date in there.
>
> See next point.
>
> >  - Something everyone can parse, unlike b33979a8f5c852fbffc072b0.
> > When you don't have the tree at hand or don't know what git is.
>
> If either of these is the case, you have no business with piglit.
>
> >  - Ease distributions interested in packaging piglit.
>
> I don't see value in distributions packaging piglit.
>
> >  - Something for our QA and other non-developer teams to cling onto.
>
> I think this has actually back fired for us when we tried. Ian
> probably remembers more.

This plan has been simmering for some months now. I'm probably
responsible for keeping it from dying, so I'll offer my apologies if
you don't approve.

Anyway, I discussed it with Ian around Mesa 10.2. While I don't think
he was excited about it, he also did not express any reasons for not
doing it. Basically, we were going to look at it again around Mesa
10.3 release time.

Since Emil took over handling the Mesa releases, I brought him into
the discussion.

As another data point, I think Chad would also like to see this
happen.

-Jordan