[Piglit] [RFC] Piglit tags/releases

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Mon Sep 29 20:39:51 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Jordan Justen <jljusten at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 6:45 PM, Jordan Justen <jljusten at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> I'm planning to create a debian piglit package. (Well, it's basically
> >> created at this point.)
> >
> > But to what end? Why is packaging snapshots of an always changing
> > developer test suite useful?
>
> 1. I've wanted to just install (without building) piglit a couple of
> times within the past year. In these cases, I just wanted to run
> shader_runner on a single shader_test.
>
> 2. apt-get build-dep piglit will install the build dependencies for
> building piglit from master.

I'll admit that I find this second one useful.  Fedora has piglit packaged
and, while piglit packages are kind of uesless, yum-builddep on piglit
isn't.  It's a pitty they don't do it as a deps-only package.  In general,
I've got to agree with Matt that I don't see a point in doing releases for
a test suite.
--Jason