[Piglit] [RFC] Piglit tags/releases

Dylan Baker baker.dylan.c at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 07:19:35 PDT 2014

> And finally on the topic of piglit itself, I think release for
> piglit-the-testrunner (as opposed to piglit the gl test suite) would make
> tons of sense. At least it would simplify using piglit for igt, which is
> still something I lot of our developers seem to have not bothered with
> unfortunately.

We have talked internally about this as well (well, I have suggested it
with mixed reactions). I think that the right thing to do would be to
split the framework into a sharable part that is distributed as a python
package via pypi, and get distro packages rolled quickly as part of the
split. Then we could push the parts that are specific to specific test
suites into those repos (IGT would have an IGT specific bits in their
repo, piglit would have piglit specific bits in it's repo, we could have
additional repos for additional suites, etc).

Although it hasn't been nearly as bad recently as it was before we
started writing unit tests for the framework we still do have
regressions, especially when refactoring touches the API's. I know that
IGT integration was broken until recently, and I suspect that if we
looked several other suites are broken.

While I think this is a good idea, it's a lot of work and it will
probably be disruptive for a lot of developers, and a lot of work. So
it's not very high on my list of priorities.

However, I'm not convinced that having versions of the tests themselves
is all that useful.

Dylan