[Piglit] [RFC] Piglit tags/releases

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Tue Sep 30 08:18:46 PDT 2014

On 09/29/2014 10:01 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> While I've been through the RELEASES document I believe it would be
>> beneficial if we regularly create a tag("release"), that is to serve the
>> following
>>  - Human understandable format
>> I.e. version 1.0.2 comes after 1.0.1, oh there is even date in there.
>
> See next point.
>
>>  - Something everyone can parse, unlike b33979a8f5c852fbffc072b0.
>> When you don't have the tree at hand or don't know what git is.
>
> If either of these is the case, you have no business with piglit.
>
>>  - Ease distributions interested in packaging piglit.
>
> I don't see value in distributions packaging piglit.
>
>>  - Something for our QA and other non-developer teams to cling onto.
>
> I think this has actually back fired for us when we tried. Ian
> probably remembers more.

I agree with Matt.  The one thing that seems useful is having a tag to
mark the point in the piglit tree where a particular Mesa release was
tested.  The main I didn't do that on previous Mesa releases is that I
tested with my current work tree... which had a bunch of tests that
weren't upstream.  That would have made the tag be on a SHA1 that didn't
exist.

Anything beyond that feels like wasting time catering to the wrong set
of users.