[Piglit] [RFC] Piglit tags/releases

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:05:37 PDT 2014

So in a nutshell what I've gathered so far:

 * Concerns that it will take too much effort.
Dare I say it - it will not. A single build + sanity run takes a few
minutes.

 * There is no point if tagging/shipping (distro or otherwise) piglit
for people that do not know/have the time/etc to build it.
With all respect - even if all of us have plenty of trained members in
their QA team, I believe that we all can welcome the little extra
assistance this can bring us. Imho AMD and Nvidia hardware tend to have
more (versatile) products, so additional testing there would always be
appreciated.

 * But to what end? Why is packaging snapshots of an always changing
developer test suite useful?
- Does it hurt ? I believe not.
- Is there a possibility of being useful ? Not amazingly large, but yes.
- Would it help the versatility "problem" mentioned above ? Possibly.
- Will it align with i-g-t requirements, without the hassle of splitting
the tests from the testrunner ? Yes.

 * Split the runner from the tests, so that it can be used by others -
i-g-t.
As already pointed this alone will be more than enough hassle for devs
and QA alike. Perhaps we can hold off the idea for now ?

I believe this covers most/all topics. Are there any actual
concerns/issues that someone can foresee with this idea ? I feel that
someone may envision/feels that this may cause headaches but is keeping
low :)

Thanks
Emil