[Piglit] [RFC v2 00/39] Rework profile modification (all.py)

Dylan Baker baker.dylan.c at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 11:38:58 PST 2015

[snip]

On Tuesday, February 03, 2015 14:22:08 Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> >> I also can't say I'm a huge fan of g(['asdf']). What's wrong with
> >> g('asdf')? Use the list when there are multiple args... or just use
> >> multiple positional args, i.e. g('asdf', 'arg1')?
> >
> > IMO it's better not to do tricky things with the arguments for the
> > test, it's too easy to break tests in subtle ways (I broke a lot of
> > tests in subtle ways writing this series). We moved to requiring the
> > list (instead of allow lists or strings) because people were passing
> > tests with spaces in the string and breaking tests on some platforms
> > (cygwin I think), I think it's better to enforce the right behavior.
> > Allowing strings currently would also put more code in the adder
> > function.
>
> While I was all for not allowing multiple args in a single string, I
> can't say I would have approved of the change that switched everything
> to have [] all over the place if I had seen it when it went in. I
> guess it's not a huge deal, just a bit jarring to read through. I
> would imagine it's best to remove as much boilerplate as possible, and
> taking a single arg + a bunch of kw args is basically the same as a
> *args + a bunch of kw args. Previously there was no easy way to pass
> multiple args other than sticking spaces in, now you no longer split
> the string up (I assume) so that won't work and thus is unlikely to
> reoccur.

I'll think about it. My biggest concern is that most piglit users don't
know a lot about how the framework works, they just copy, past, and
modify. Which is fair, most piglit users are really only interested in
testing mesa.

But I think we have time, I'd like to land this series in a couple of
batches since it is so big, and the part we're discussing would be the
last set to land.

Dylan

[snip]