[Piglit] Weekly 10 Picks from Patchwork for review and friendly reminder to clean out your old patches

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 19 13:18:25 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> On 19/06/15 20:45, Ilia Mirkin wrote:

>>> Patchwork seems to fail to recognize submited patches.  Eg. one of my
>>> patches is https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/51379/ but it has been
>>> commited on
>>>
>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/piglit/commit/?id=540972b46e51ee1d4acbb3757b731a066e2b6ba5
>>>
>>> Why is that?
>>

>> It's very strict about matching patches. The diff has to be identical.
>> Which it often isn't if you made minor changes, or rebased, or
>> whatever.
>

> Without a bit of fuzzy matching I'm afraid this looks a bit hopeless to me:
>
> I believe the bulk of the patches are committed, and only a few is
> forgotten.  Looking at the patchwork backlog it's fair to say a large
> portion of those committed don't get detected due to small changes.  So the
> end result is that developers have to click through and babysit the bulk of
> their changes in patchwork, so that the few truly forgotten patches get to
> stand out?
>
> I don't think this will ever going to work.  There's no incentive in the
> system for the most prolific developers to spend so much of their time, for
> the sake of the occasional contributor.  The patchwork system seems bound to
> echo what happens on the mailing list: their patches get to be lost twice...
>

> There 's another concern -- one can only change the status of our own
> patches.  So if one commits on behalf of somebody else, and that patch
> doesn't get recognized, one needs to get that other person to register and
> click through patchwork?

In order for patchwork to at all be useful you have to have admin
access on patchwork. I believe it's been handed out to anyone who's
asked. This gives you the ability to bulk-modify stuff too. At least
for the mesa patchwork, I've kept my commits relatively accurate wrt
reality. (I don't do the "superseded" thing though... I just archive.)