[Piglit] [ANNOUNCE] python 3 is here... and python 2 is staying

Dylan Baker baker.dylan.c at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 20:31:51 UTC 2016

Quoting Ilia Mirkin (2016-02-09 11:35:14)
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Dylan Baker <baker.dylan.c at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Matt Turner (2016-02-09 10:03:59)

> >> Yeah, I've continued using the piglit-run.py/piglit-summary.py
> >> scripts. I don't know what I would gain by switching, but I would lose
> >> the ability to tab complete their names. :)
> >
> > One of these days I should really finish writing those zsh and bash
> > completions I started, and then got frustrated by how difficult it is to
> > write bash and zsh completions....
>
> FWIW my experience is that, while very cool and high "aaaah" factor,
> bash completions greatly degrade the usability of bash. I never enable
> them on my own systems. For example it breaks completion with the tar
> command on annarchy -- I haven't figured out how to turn them off but
> every time it's a huge pain that I can't tab-complete the name of a
> tar archive because it doesn't know about .xz or something.
>
>   -ilia

Well, annarchy is running debian stale...

fwiw, they're sourced out of
/usr/share/bash_completions/bash_completion, though I'm sure they're
included in /etc/profile so they may be somewhat hard to remove the link
on a machine you don't administer.

Anecdotally, I find the opposite, not having completions is maddening.
so, to each his own I guess.

Dylan