[Piglit] Port piglit framework to python3, round 2

Dylan Baker baker.dylan.c at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 12:36:58 PST 2016

Sure.

I've been working on a hybrid approach, using the six library (the
generators currently already work this way). Once my subprocess32 timeout
stuff lands, the code I have will be based on upstream, and I just need to
finish sorting out the str/byte/unicode changes between python 2 and 3.

My thought is that we can use a hybrid approach while there are still users
needing python 2 support, (I know you guys still have some systems using
python 2.7 exclusively, as does Red Hat). We can just start removing six
and have a python 3 exclusive code base when there are no consumers left
for python 2.

Dylan

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:

> Hi Dylan,
>
> We're actually interested in getting Piglit running on Python3.  Can you
> give an update on the status of this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Brian
>

> On 03/13/2015 04:30 PM, Dylan Baker wrote:
>
>> bump
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 02:04:00PM -0800, Dylan Baker wrote:
>>
>>> This is a proposal for another go at moving to python3 for the
>>> framework. Due to the amount of work that's gone into piglit over the
>>> last few months and years the codebase is very modern, and the
>>> transition is pretty straightforward, the only major change is the
>>> bytes/unicode/str conversion, which isn't that hard for us since we've
>>> already relied on the unicode class for a number of our string
>>> interfaces.
>>>
>>> So why python3, and why now?
>>>
>>> The first argument for python3 is features. Feature work is ongoing in
>>> python3, while python2 is in long term maintenance mode, and there are
>>> features landing in python3 that will either allow us to simplify the
>>> piglit code, or to enable useful features with minimal effort. Patch 2
>>> provides a sane, portable timeout implementation for piglit to
>>> demonstrate this.
>>>
>>> The second argument I can offer is that linux distributions are starting
>>> to make the transition to python3 as their default python version. Arch
>>> and Fedora have already made this jump. For windows and OSX the python
>>> foundation provides pre compiled binaries.
>>>
>>> But what about platforms that don't have python3.3+ available?
>>>
>>> Well, the goal of recently landed changes to the generators was to
>>> hybridize the generators to work under either python2.7 or python 3.3+,
>>> with the same code base, and this series doesn't change that, nor do I
>>> have any plans to do so while there are still python2 consumers. The
>>> goal being that tests (including generated tests) should be backportable
>>> to the python2 branch without any changes being necessary.
>>>
>>> The idea then is that directly before landing this code a python2 branch
>>> of piglit would be forked and pushed to the upstream repository.  Those
>>> that need python2 would be able to use the python2 branch for testing,
>>> while upstream development would continue on master, which used python3.
>>>
>>> Any changes that were strictly necessary to keep the python2 branch
>>> working with the python3 branch would be backported, presumably by
>>> myself, but the goal would be to minimize the number of python changes
>>> backported. The one drawback here would be that if the summary format of
>>> master (python3) changed it's unlikely that would be backported to