[Piglit] UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 117: ordinal not in range(128)

Dai, XiangX xiangx.dai at intel.com
Fri May 12 08:04:55 UTC 2017

From: Sarvela, Tomi P
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 3:02 PM
To: piglit at lists.freedesktop.org
Cc: Dylan Baker; Dai, XiangX
Subject: Re: [Piglit] UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 117: ordinal not in range(128)

On Thursday, 11 May 2017 20:37:00 EEST Dylan Baker wrote:
> Quoting Dai, XiangX (2017-05-10 22:54:45)
>
> > Hi, all!
> >
> > I test with piglit/igt-basic which is a wonderfule test tool.
> > But i find a confused issue like below:
> >
> >   File "/usr/lib/python3.5/subprocess.py", line 705, in
> >   _translate_newlines>
> >     data = data.decode(encoding)
> >
> > UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in
> > position 117: ordinal not in range(128)
> >
> > When test igt-gem_pread-basic and igt-gem_pwrite-basic, the above
> > issue occur. I try to set the default code way to ues utf-8 but
> > not help.
> >
> > My test host is debian with the kernel v4.11-rc8.
>
> This might be a known python issue. What is the output of "python3
> --version"?

The char tripping up is probably 'micro sign'.

I've ran into this same issue when enviromental variables were set to
Chinese and test output has this as byte. Can you tell your
environmental variables, specifically LANG and LC_ALL ?

root at snb-black ~# echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
root at snb-black /lkp/benchmarks/piglit# echo $LC_ALL

It is already utf-8.

Tomi