[Piglit] [Announce] Swineherd: A piglit test runner written in C++

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Wed Dec 19 21:56:18 UTC 2018

Hi list,

I've been off and on working on a new test runner for piglit written in C++14.
Its been sitting on my gitlab publicly for a bit, and I've shared it with some
people at Intel, but I thought I'd send out an announcement and see if I could
get some more interest. It's called swineherd, and it lives here:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbaker/swineherd

Swineherd currently is pretty limited, it still needs a lot of work to be a
replacement for the piglit runner, but it can run tests and get output, and does
so much faster than the python runner.

It currently can:
 - read the gz compressed profile xml that piglit produces
 - run tests
 - get the output of tests
 - write an uncompressed json file that piglit's summary tools can consume
 - only builds and runs on Linux

I have a few opened issues on the gitlab tracker for it, that I may or may not
get around to doing all of.

I currently don't plan this to support every single option piglit does, because
my main concern with swineherd is performance, I want this runner to be as fast
as possible. Among the things I don't want to implement:

 - dmesg support. This forces serial test running and pauses between tests.
 - reboot on failure support
 - other things I haven't mentioned

I'd be happy to take MRs for this, if you'd like to add things or fix things :)

I'm also opened to merging this into piglit proper, once I feel like it's pretty
stable and has enough features to be generally useful.

Dylan