[Pixman] [ssse3]Optimization for fetch_scanline_x8r8g8b8

Xu, Samuel samuel.xu at intel.com
Sun Aug 29 02:25:47 PDT 2010

Hi, Siarhei Siamashka:
Q:---" What problems do you have without "merge" mechanism?"
A: Of course there isn't correctness issue w/o "merge".
Currently, sse2_fast_paths/mmx_fast_paths/c_fast_paths...are excluded each other, although some checking forms delegate chain. While after delegate chain formed, only one fast table effect. Is my understanding correct?
So after ssse3_fast_paths is newly added, only SSSE3 table will be effect after SSSE3 CPUID is detected. Of course we can just keep 2 new entries with SSSE3 asm optimizations, the issue is: we lost the optimizations which already exist in current SSE2 table. So, w/o merging or w/o totally duplication from SSE2 file, there will be performance unfriendly.

Sure, It is ok for us for this "correctness firstly, then performance in next wave" philosophy. A new SSSE3 file with only 2 fast path entries is ok?

For simplifying on CPU detection, I think same " correctness firstly, then performance in next wave" philosophy might be followed. A full CPU detection for 64 bit can be added firstly as a baseline, the one who can test win32 and Solaris can help us to make it shorter.

As a wrap, new path will:
1) keep most 64 bit CPU detection as currently patch (GNU C part can reduce some edx checking)
2) A new SSSE3 file with only 2 fast path entries for newly added ASM optimization

Comments?

Samuel