[Pixman] releases and snapshots

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 09:24:59 PDT 2011

2011/4/2 Soeren Sandmann <sandmann at cs.au.dk>:
> Maarten Bosmans <mkbosmans at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> At the releases page http://cairographics.org/releases/ both the
>> latest stable (0.20.2) and unstable (0.21.6) versions are listed. This
>> is confusing for people that don't know our versioning scheme
>> (although it is no unusual scheme). I already know of one person who
>> downloaded 0.21.x thinking it was the latest stable, as also the
>> LATEST-pixman link links to the unstable series.
>>
> I have been meaning to do this, actually, but have been procrastinating,
> mainly because doing it would also involve changing the pixman Makefile
> to do the right thing on "make release" ...

The relevant snippet from cairo/build/Makefile.am/releasing is:

RELEASE_OR_SNAPSHOT = $$(if test "x$(CAIRO_VERSION_MINOR)" = "x$$(echo
"$(CAIRO_VERSION_MINOR)/2*2" | bc)" ; then echo release; else echo
snapshot; fi)
RELEASE_UPLOAD_HOST =   cairographics.org
RELEASE_UPLOAD_BASE = /srv/cairo.freedesktop.org/www
RELEASE_UPLOAD_DIR =  $(RELEASE_UPLOAD_BASE)/$(RELEASE_OR_SNAPSHOT)s
RELEASE_URL_BASE =  http://cairographics.org/$(RELEASE_OR_SNAPSHOT)s

Perhaps it's even better to copy that file entirely into the pixman
tree and tweak it for pixman, as some of the functionality is
currently already in pixman's root Makefile.am.

Maarten