[Pixman] Op. when compositing

Eric Nicolas erik.nicolas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 13:53:05 PDT 2014

Hello, Thanks for your answer.

Below is a small test program (works on little endian machines).

As is the result is already strange to me :
     in: r=20 g=20 b=80 a=FF
     out: r=90 g=90 b=C0 a=FF
Where as I expected the fill color #FFFFFFFF x the mask 0x80 = #FFFFFF80
and so an output of #9090FFFF.

However, if I set the fill color to #FFFFFF80, the result seems really
wrong :
in: r=20 g=20 b=80 a=FF
out: r=98 g=98 b=E0 a=FF

I would expect fill x mask => #FFFFFF40 and thus out: #606060C0FF.

I especially do not understand how a lower alpha input color can end up in
a lighter output on the target image.

What I am doing wrong here ?

Thanks.

#include <stdlib.h>

#include <stdio.h>

union C {

uint32_t value;

struct RGBA8888 {

uint8_t a;

uint8_t b;

uint8_t g;

uint8_t r;

} rgba;

};

void testPixmapOps()

{

    // create target image full with r=0x20 g=0x20 b=0x80 a=0xFF

    size_t w = 100; // multiple of 4 for alignment

    size_t h = 100;

    C *target = (C*)malloc(w * h * sizeof(C));

    for(size_t i = 0; i < w * h; ++i)

        target[i].value = 0x202080FF;

    printf("in: r=%02X g=%02X b=%02X a=%02X\n",

        target[0].rgba.r, target[0].rgba.g, target[0].rgba.b, target[0].rgba
.a);

    // connect target to pixman image

    pixman_image_t *ptarget = pixman_image_create_bits(PIXMAN_r8g8b8a8, w,
h, (uint32_t*)target, w * sizeof(uint32_t));

    // create fill

    pixman_color_t cfill;

    cfill.red   = uint16_t(0xFF) << 8;

    cfill.green = uint16_t(0xFF) << 8;

    cfill.blue  = uint16_t(0xFF) << 8;

    cfill.alpha = uint16_t(0xFF) << 8;

    pixman_image_t *pfill = pixman_image_create_solid_fill(&cfill);

    // create mask with a=0x80

    uint8_t *mask = (uint8_t*)malloc(w * h);

    for(size_t i = 0; i < w * h; ++i)

        mask[i] = 0x80;

    pixman_image_t *pmask = pixman_image_create_bits(PIXMAN_a8, w, h, (
uint32_t*)mask, w);

    // do compositing

    pixman_image_composite(

                           PIXMAN_OP_OVER,

                           pfill, pmask, ptarget,

                           // src_x, src_y

                           0, 0,

                           // mask_x, mask_y

                           0, 0,

                           // dest_x, dest_y, width, height

                           0, 0, w, h);

    // display one pixel of target

    printf("out: r=%02X g=%02X b=%02X a=%02X\n",

}