[Pixman] Is Pixman being maintained at all?

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 18:46:10 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/30/2015 10:25 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
>
>> Do you just need someone to push them?
>>
>> I'm not capable of reviewing these.
>>
>> Since Søren isn't really maintaining pixman anymore I'm not really
>> sure how to proceed.
>

> Is this true?

I don't see anyone but Pekka reviewing patches and there hasn't been a
release in 15 months, so yeah.

> I think something needs to be done about this as all new work on X and Cairo
> is depending on pixman.

I mean, sure.

> I have had an outstanding patch set for 8 months now. Søren responded to an
> earlier version and I tried to address it but have not heard anything since.
> This is very frustrating as I would like to work on this but I'm not going
> to do it if it is useless.

As far as I know, Søren isn't working at Redhat any more, so I don't
think you can expect him to continue maintaining pixman.

> If nothing is going to change in pixman I think Cairo is going to have to
> fork it and make a local copy. This is going to remove the ability for Cairo
> to use X remote rendering (since X will still be using the old pixman),
> though it is unclear if any serious software is using this mode any more.

Sounds ridiculous.

Get a Cairo developer to review and commit your pixman changes? I don't know.