[Pixman] Is Pixman being maintained at all?

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 12:15:12 PDT 2015

On 04/07/2015 12:19 PM, Matt Turner wrote:

> I don't know how Cairo does review, but I think it would be really
> nice if a Cairo developer reviewed Bill's patches (I think they were
> adding a new API to pixman?) if not for all the little technical
> details but that the API makes sense for its uses in Cairo.

My patches are to move the current cairo FILTER_GOOD/BEST behavior into
pixman. Pixman can do this better and faster, and it means that the X11
Cairo backend does not have to do an image fallback for transforms.

The main difference between this patch and the Cairo code is that Søren
wanted to preserve his current api for generating filters, which
requires selection of two filters which are then integrated (one of them
scaled by the width). I am not in full agreement with this as all other
systems I have ever seen treat the smaller filter as impulse, and except
for box+box (which produces a trapezoid and most software produces that
directly when "box" is requested), I have to use impulse for one of the
filters always.

In any case most of the series is to fix bugs and inefficiencies in the
filter generation.

There is then a patch to enable use of the filtering for GOOD/BEST
settings, matching Cairo (with a few minor improvements).

There is also patches to fix the demo programs so the GOOD/BEST filter
can be tested and to fix the filter size for rotated images.

In addition if this is pushed we need a test in Cairo to detect if
pixman is new enough and then remove Cairo's local emulation. There has
to be a test for the linked Pixman and perhaps a different one for the X
server.